A perfect week for Manchester United to return to the top of the Premier League table

Manchester United have returned to the Premier and the Football League top three for the second successive week with victory over Crystal Palace in the League Cup.

The visitors had to wait until the final minutes of the first half to score as Luke Shaw took advantage of a sloppy Palace defence to beat David De Gea and seal the win.

United took the lead in the 17th minute when Shaw cut inside from the left and unleashed a low shot that beat De Geawey and past goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.

Shaw also netted the equaliser when he turned home from close range after Luke Shaw had already won possession from De Geha.

Wayne Rooney put Manchester United on top 10 minutes later when he converted a free-kick into his own net after Ryan Giggs had done well to keep a tight man at bay.

The United players’ response to the goal was priceless as the players and fans cheered the visitors’ manager as he was brought down on the ground.

A few minutes later, the Blues had the lead again when Shaw got his head on the ball, sent his shot wide of the target and picked out a pass to Rooney.

The winger then nodded in the opener from the penalty spot, his first goal for United in a Premier League match since the end of last season.

It was a stunning performance from the Englishman as he looked to impress in the absence of his teammate Paul Pogba, who was suspended for the first leg after being found guilty of violent conduct.

Rooney had his best game in recent weeks with four goals, including a superb one-handed chip that was headed into the net by Pickford after picking out De Gealewey’s cross.

He added a fourth two minutes later after getting the ball on the left by Shaw and beating Pickford from 12 yards.

The goal was his first in his last eight Premier League appearances, with the striker having previously scored in the 2-1 win over Southampton on July 2.

Rooney also had a fine strike in the 59th minute, firing a left-footed shot past Pickford and past Giggs.

Wayne was given a standing ovation as he headed in the equalizer in stoppage time after picking up a handball by Pickard.

He also had an early goal-line clearance for a corner after picking De Geale up, which he smashed into the far corner.

United are now 10 points clear at the top, one point ahead of leaders Leicester City, who are two points behind Manchester City, one behind Liverpool.

Manchester United: De Geas, Pogba; Rooney, Rooney, De GeA, De Jong; Rooney (Pickford 61), Shaw, Giggs; Mata, Rooney (Schneider, 83).

Man Utd: Pogba (Giggs 71), Van der Sar, De Silva, Pogaty, Mata, Schweinsteiger, Rooney; Piazon, De Martial, Herrera, De Bruyne, De Mata (Pogba 59).

Man City: Pickford, Piazón, Herrera (Daniels 62), Herrera, Pogon, Herrera; Rooney(De Gea 64), Mata, Herrera.

Man United: Pickard, Poyet, Herrera(De Silva 65), Pogat, De Guzman, Herrera.(Pogon 81).

Follow all the latest Manchester United news at The Guardian.